3.15.2009

Most Common Media Myths



When browsing through articles, I came across a great one on USA Today. It is an article addressing a photo shoot that Jamie Lee Curtis posed for in More magazine. Instead of getting glammed up for the photo shoot in order to give the appearance of what a movie star is supposed to look like, Curtis took pictures in a sports bra and spandex shorts to show what she really looks like. When asked why she wanted to do this, she replied, I don't want the unsuspecting 40-year-old women of the world to think that I've got it going on. It's such a fraud. And I'm the one perpetuating it." She admits that she profited highly from participating in the myth of perfection, and have even admits to having cosmetic surgery to try and perfect her looks. She said that none of it works!



Now Jamie is known for actively speaking out against the way the media depicts beauty. She has written a number of children’s books about self-esteem and loving yourself. One of her most recent books is called I’m Gonna Like Me: Letting off a Little Self-Esteem. At the end of her interview Jamie said, “I want to do my part, as I develop the consciousness for it, to stop perpetuating the myth. I'm going to look the way God intends me to look ... with a little help from Manolo Blahnik."


So what is Jamie saying? She is saying that we need to learn to love ourselves as we are. This is not an excuse for laziness; part of loving ourselves is keeping our bodies healthy by balancing exercise with a nutritious diet. The point she is getting across is that we determine what beauty is. We need to stop relying on the media to tell us what we need to do in life in order to be happy.

To read the full article from USA Today, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment